Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Obi Belt out of a T-shirt




I art a genius.

Playing around last night on craftster, I noticed alot of girls had posted pics of obi-belts they'd made out of pretty silks and stiff denims. I've always been a fan of obi-belts and something about they're classic look called to me, but being a the funkmaster of sewing I wanted to see what it would be like if I used a t-shirt, I HAD originally intended for this project to be made using my John Lennon Revolution shirt but I needed a practice shirt first. Dig through my box of old clothes I never wear and SHAZAM! I found an old black t-shirt from BorderCon 2006.

The back has all these really funny sayings while heard adventuring in our province, and you will only get them if you play D&D with any of the players I played with, but I think they are funny as shit so I decided wtf. why not??

So I measured my waist, which proved to be a lesson in humility, and started to cutting.

The front panels are all sewn together along the sides, as was the back panels, then I faced the front and back together (so that the writting was in the inside--> so visible seam work) and turned in right side out.

I took the braided straps off an old wrap-style head band and stitched them into the ends of the belt, folded the rough ends in of the material and sowed them shut as well.

Its a five-panel obi belt! WOOO!!

I really wish I had a camera to show you this I just have my webcam and I'm afraid it won't do it justice.

EDITED TO SAY

I caved an took a shot with the webcam. I have these two lovely wool sweaters in ash grey and soft pink. I love them but I'd like to do them up sometimes with a sash or belt. So, with the idea of creating a whole outfit this weekend, I have my Lennon shirt prepped, but I wanted to see what it would take to properly make a stiff(ish) belt and have the definite obi style.

When its done the outfit is going to consist of my black tank top with my grey sweater and finished obi plus the recreated wrap skirt. I figure time and money constraints with have me finished in time for next fall.

I'm looking at recreating my sweaters in a light linen for summer though. Wearing over tanks and light tops at work, OOH boy I love this sewing machine I'm totally alive.

OH and be nice. It is a webcam after all!

3 comments:

Beth said...

You need to find someone with a camera because I want detailed shots of this and your skirt! :) That's so cool. I'd love to make my own clothes.

Yve! said...

I'm looking need to remember to wear it out sometime too!!

Yve! said...

YAY REN!!!!