Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Inventory Week

So its Inventory Week at work this week, which means we have to clean, organize and prep for the big count on Saterday.

This entails much stupidity on behalf of my company and I mean, it really hurts to admit this. Its just that bad.

Lets start at the beginning, today my first day back from the weekend, and the store has already been divided into sections, starting on the left hand 'window' display and moving down the left hand wall, around the back wraps around the right hand side then hits the middle displays. Each section is literally three feet wide and takes up a row of shelving. Monday the front window display was done, the dishwall, asian wall and half the linens were done by the time I came in. Not bad, but we're only a tenth of the way started.

Jess explains to me the method of the inventory, how we have to pre-organize the merchandise by writing down the SKU's and doubling the list leaving the count columns empty (for the Big Count). We have to start on the top shelf, working left to right, down a shelf right to left, down a shelf left to right, in a very drunken style zigzag.

--->
I
I
V
<---
I
I
V
--->

Just like that.

organize, list, document, copy, ignore customers, organize, list, document, copy, ignore phone, for 9 hours.

-shudders-

Remarkably I got finished the rest of the linen section (#10) and made my way through the coffee and tea wall, to the gadjet section, through the aprons and oven mitts to the spice wall. I stopped there. Ten sections chewed through by me and Jess.

I stopped at 8 and started the close.

I was so glad to get the hell out of there by 10 after 9 it was a fucking miracle.

I loathe inventory.
LOATHE.
LOOOOAAAATTHHEE.

this is going to be a very long very annoying week.

BUT I found out.

I get the christmas bonus from all the hours I worked at the holiday store.

YAY!!

No comments: