Monday, April 20, 2009

Bronchitis

Acute Bronchitis is a viral infection in the main branches of the lungs. It comes in various strengths, shapes and debilitating forms. It's symptoms include shortness of breath, rough, broken coughing, headaches, phlegm production, rhonchi* and fatigue.

Acute Bronchitis can last several days or weeks and progress to bronchial pneumonia and even to pneumonia or tuberculosis.

Treatment is often antibiotics if the systems do not dissipate after a week. Studies show it can quicken healing by a half-day. -refrains from sputtering-

I have chronic bronchitis, which means, I have the cough all the time. It doesn't matter if I am the picture of health, I start to cough, I bark like a dog. I also get full blown bronchitis upwards of twice or three times a year depending on how well I've taken care of myself, or how unlucky I am. I've managed to go a whole year without it... I have it again and it sucks because its particularily humid and damp outside and my parents have both taken to smoking in tandem. My lungs ache from being hammered against my sternum every time I take a deep breath and start to cough, my mouth is dry, my sinuses ache and I am partially deaf from blockage. I am tired from lack of sleep and I am aching from the near constant need to clear my throat and cough. I have a headache from all the intense coughing and my only relief is moments after taking mouthfuls of Buckley's, the most vile rancid tasting 'medicine' you can get. Really. I know people who equate the taste to semen, and others to rancid tree bark. Me, I've always preferred explaining it's taste to that being what I would imagine Noxzema tasting lick if you ate a handful. Its more accurately a combination of all three. The only redeeming factor is, since taking it I can breath through my nose again for the first time in a week. The sad part...since the last time I had to take it, I've developed a wicked gag reflex stemming from a bout of the Norwall (norwalk?) virus a couple of years ago that caused me to loose about 15 pounds and most of my taste buds. You'd think having your tongue seared by bile would help the Buckley's taste less rancid. You'd be wrong.

But. It works. Kinda. I'm still waiting to be able to stop coughing long enough to use my lungs at full capacity again.

I hate you weakened immune system.

I blame my parents smoking around me for my entire life. I've always had breathing problems, asthma, allergies, bronchial infections, weakened systems, etc. I'm also very pessimistic at this time (see prior entry concerning the DSG's leaving Ottawa) so forgive me if I come off clinical and cold.

I'm sick and bitchy. Deal. At least you aren't fighting what I'm fighting. Also I'd grow and give my testicle's to be able to taste food right now. Cardboard is kinda bland.

* rhonchi is a coarse rattling sound similar to snoring.

No comments: